66. Two major factors contributed to devastating summer flooding along the Yangtze River and its tributaries . First,erosion resulting from excessive deforestation in the upper reaches of the river and ,second ,heavy silting which raised the riverbed in the main channel .
67. Greed and a total lack of social consciousness have been cited as major reasons for the dramatic rise corruption .
68. There are several reasons for the marked increase in China's crime rate-the dramatic influx of itinerant workers in urban areas ;declining social values ;and widening disparities between the haves and have-nots .
69. Why are an increasing number of elderly Chinese parents living apart from their children ？ One reason is the increasing upward mobility of the younger generation . Another is expanding social opportunities for the elderly . Perhaps the main reason,however ,centers on dramatic changes in traditional concepts .
70. What has sparked the increasing interest in exercise ？ For one thing ,people have gained a greater awareness of the need for physical fitness . For another ,the constantly improving standard of living enables Chinese people to patronize the increasing number of recreational venues . The main thing perhaps centers on the healthcare and psychological benefits exercise provides .
71. Identifying the reasons for an emerging phenomenon which involves several complicated factors is far from an easy task . For example ,some scientists attribute environmental deterioration to a series of natural factors ,while others place the blame solely on inappropriate human behavior .
72. One doesn't have to look far to realize the direct correlation between smoking and cancer .
73. The explanation for the phenomenon of the rising teenage suicide rate involves many complicated factors . Some attribute the rise to an overemphasis on early success ,others point to mounting peer pressure,and still others to confusion over changing social values .
74. The reasons for antisocial behavior are both complicated and varied . I suggest the phenomenon results from inappropriate role models and the lack of well-defined norms of behavior . However ,the main reason is quite likely the continuing degeneration of social values .
75. The causes of racial hatred are not readily definable . Sociologists , however ,attribute them to the misguided concept of a superior race and an innate mistrust of people of color . Perhaps the main cause is quite simply ignorance .
76. The scourge of HIV/AIDS currently engulfing the world will quite likely be brought under control within the next few years thanks to the untiring efforts of scientists and researchers worldwide .
77. The incidence rate of cancer mainly stems from several factors ,including inappropriate diets,poor healthcare practices and the lack of early detection . Continuing medical advances and rising awareness do ,however ,offer promising hope for the future .
78. Increased urban pollution levels and the mounting death toll from motor vehicles accidents can mainly be attributed to the glut of automobiles appearing on city roads in recent years . Detrimental factors will quite likely outweigh the benefits of rising automobile usage .
79. The rising divorce rate in China can , at least in part ,be attributed to spousal incompatibility,,disparities in education levels ,changing social attitudes and the increasing upward mobility of the younger generation .
80. State-owned enterprises are not only failing because of inefficient management,but also because of their inability to awitch operational modes from the former planned economy to the new market economy .
81. Although we do not know the long-term consequences of separation or deprivation ,we do know that they can produce acute immediate distress .
82. One can raedily trace the disappearance of dinosaurs to a major cataclysmic event .
83. The raesons for poverty are many ,but for the most part center on illiteracy ,the lack of opportunities and in some cases pure laziness .
84. Child development depends on a number of factors ,both physical and psychological . Correct parental nurturing from infancy through adolescence determines both the physical and mental profile of a mature individual .
85. Factors such as self-condidence and ambition ,combined with determination and willpower ,contribute to eventual success or failure .
86. Various factors will weigh heavily on China's eventual entry into the World Trade Organization （ WTO ） . One centers on the total abandonment of protectionism ,and the other on the adoption of generally accepted international accounting norms .
87. One of the most common failures of people today is to avoid telling the truth . People must realize that avoidance and lying have never in the past and ,in fact ,never will right a wrong .
88. Central planning has ,at least in part , been blamed for the current demise of state-owned enterprises . Perhaps , however, the greatest blame should be placed on factors such as grossly inefficient management ;the rampant practice of " guanxi ",cronyism and nepotism ;excessively large work forces ;abuses of social benefits ;and without a doubt corruption .
89. A recent survey revealed large disparities in the income levels of male and female workers holding the same position . The determining factor should be qualifications ,rather than gender ,when determining both the salary and position of an individual .
90. Social finesse ,willingness to relocate and language capacity are also determinant factora in assessing job qualifications .
91. The tumultuous Cultural Revolution was chiefly responsible for the searing desire for change in China .
92. Traditional beliefs do not in themselves explain the lingering prevalence of outdated concepts in China .
93. Some lay the blame for falling exports squarely on financial turmoil sweeping many Asian countries . The fact of the matter is ,however,that proportionate blame should be assigned to the lackadaisical approach to developing new markets,failure to improve product quality and government inaction in the realm of support .
94. We often ignore the real problem and instead search for a needle in a haystack . Solving problems of any kind requires one to adopt a direct approach which addresses all relevant issues .
95. Claiming a lack of opportunities is nothing more than a superficial excuse for justifying failure . The fundamental reason for failure is most often the lack of drive on the part of the individual involved .
96. We can ,and quite often do,blame our contemporaries for personal failures ,but the fact of the matter is that the root causes for most problems go much deeper .
97. The rapidly emerging sexual revolution has been accompanied by many disturbing trends . Perhaps the most serious consequences center on the rapid spread of sexually transmitted diseases （ STDs ）,rising prostitution and the rise in AIDS cases .