Using the Subway
878. Can you tell me how to get to Manhattan？
878. You can take the subway.
879. Oh，I just can't figure out the subway system at all.
880. But it's easy to get to Manhattan from here by the sub-way.
881. You take the uptown R train and get off at 42nd street.
882. O. K. ，do you know where the nearest subway station is.
883. It's over there across the street in front of the cinema.
884. Is this the right subway to the Rockefeller Center？
885. Yes，you take the D train on the downtown platform，and go three stops.
886. How much is the fare？
887. What should I do with the token？
888. You put it in the slot at the turnstile and then push the turnstile to get into the platform.
889. By the way，how can I get out of the platform after I get off the train？
890.That's very easy. The exit is always open.
891. Remember，the D train，the downtown platform.
Linhua：Excuse me，officer. Can you help me？
Linhua：Can you tell me how to get to Manhattan？
Policeman：You can take the subway.
Linhua：Oh，I just can't figure out the subway system at all.
As soon as I get underground I lose my sense of direction.
Policeman：But it's easy to get to Manhattan from here by the subway. You take the uptown R train and get off at 42nd Street.
Linhua：O. K. ，do you know where the nearest subway station is？
Policeman：It's over there across the street in front of the cinema.
Linhua：Thanks a lot.
A：Is this right subway to the Rockefeller Center？
B：Yes，you take the D train on the downtown platform，and go three stops.
A：How much is the fare？
B：One dollar and fifteen cents. You give me the money and I'll exchange it for a token.
A：What should I do with the token？
B：You put it in the slot at the turnstile and then push the turnstile to get into the platform.
A：Oh，I see. By the way，how can I get out of the platform after I get off the train？
B：That's very easy. The exit is always open.
A：Thank you very much.
B：My pleasure. Remember，the D train，the downtown platform.
A：How did you enjoy your subway trip yesterday，Yang？
B：Very much and I found it very funny，too.
A：Really？When did you take your trip there？
B：I was down at the Lilan Station at 7∶30. I guess that was a bad time to travel. When a train pulled in I was simply swept in by the rush of people from behind.
A：Oh，poor you！But did you manage to find a seat？
B：That was out of the question. The train left the station before I was able to get back my breath. I planned to get off at the Bridge Station for a visit，but I found myself landed at an entirely new one.
A：So you overrode your station.
B：That's right，and it took me half an hour to get on a train back.
Words and Expressions
tokenman n. 地铁售票员
slot n. 槽
turnstile n. （每次容许一人进入的）旋转栅门
pull vi. 拉，牵
override vt. 越过
platform n. （火车站的）月台
token n. 用作交通运输费等的替代货币的）筹码